The Library has a vast collection of materials which can be borrowed or only referred within the Library premise. Users need to know the types of materials from various collections, its location and its usage. Below is the detailed information of the materials available in the collection. To get access to our collection, please log in to our Library WebOPAC.
1. GENERAL COLLECTION
Consists of text-books, proceedings, reports in various subject areas.
- Location: Level 2, A Block and they are arranged according to the class number, A -Z.
2. REFERENCE COLLECTION (MAIN-REFERENCE)
Consists of dictionaries and encyclopedias, directories, atlases, terminologies, glossaries, manuals, statistical reports, handbooks and almanacs.
- Location: Level 1, A Block. Books in this collection have the location symbol 'r' on top of call number.
3. AUDIO-VISUAL MATERIALS
Consists of audio-visual materials such as:
- Location: Ground Level, A Block (kept at Media and Archives Division). Materials in this collection have the location symbol 'bpd' on top of call number.
4. SERIALS COLLECTION
There are three (3) different categories of serials :
4.1 Current Issues
Consists of the most current issues received by the Library.
- The materials are displayed at the Current Journals Display Area, Level 1, B Block.
4.2 Unbound Issues
- Consists of back issues of unbound journals.
4.3 Bound Issues
- Consists of back issues of bound journals.
5. SPECIAL COLLECTION
Special Collection exists for the purpose of preserving intellectual property of UPM, in fulfilling the needs of teaching, learning, research and consultancy of the University. The collection starts in 1997 as a result of a combination of few collections i.e. Malaysiana Collection, Red Spot Collection, Thesis, Project Papers, and Modules for Distance Learning Students and Prof Chin Collection. The Special Collection is located at Level 2, B Block. The collections are to be used within the Library for duration of two (2) hours except for modules for Distance Learning Students which can loaned out for two (2) weeks.
5.1 Malaysiana Collection
- Consists of materials on Malaysian agriculture whether it is published in Malaysia or abroad. The contents are wholly or partly on Malaysia.
5.2 Thesis Collection
- Consist of thesis or dissertations of the UPM graduate students (Master and PhD) and also theses and dissertations of the academic/non-academic UPM staff from the any Malaysia or overseas higher learning institutions.
5.3 Project Paper Collection
- Consist of final year UPM students'project papers (only the latest 5 years).
5.4 Prof. Chin Collection
- Collection consist of gifts and donations from Prof. Dr. Chin. Hoong Fong (former lecturer of the Faculty of Agriculture, UPM) includes the areas of agriculture, botany and conservation of plant genetic resources, particularly in the field of seed technology.
5.5 Red-Spot Collection
- Consists of main text-books recommended by lecturers for courses taught at the University.
5.6 Distance Learning Collection
- Consist of modules/lecture notes for Distance Learning, Universiti Putra Malaysia which are published by the Center for External Education, UPM or formerly known as the Institute of Education and Distance Learning (IDEAL), UPM.
5.7 Limited Collection
- Consists of materials that are declared illegal for distribution to the public by the Government of Malaysia.
6. ONLINE DATABASES
- Library subscribes to online databases in various fields.
7. BIBLIOGRAPHY COLLECTION
- Consists primarily of Bibliographies, Printed Abstracts and Indexes.
8. BORNEO COLLECTION
- Borneo collection is available only at the Library Bintulu (Sarawak) Campus.
Library subscribes the following printed newspapers:
Daily newspapers and back issues are displayed at the Current Journals Display, B Block. Requests to use them should be made at the Serial Service Counter.
|Last Updated on Monday, 13 February 2012 12:29|