The Document Delivery Service enables UPM students, faculty members, and staff to borrow materials not available at UPM libraries from other libraries, both local and abroad. Requests are restricted to materials required for study, teaching, or research purposes only. All requests must comply with the Copyright Law.
The service is free to eligible borrowers (registered library patrons) :-
- UPM faculty members
- UPM students
- UPM staff card holders
Library external members, UPM alumni, holders of courtesy, and members of the general public are not eligible for this service. These users should request interlibrary loans through the libraries they are affiliated with
What Items Can Be Requested?
- Items not owned by UPM libraries.
- Items that are checked out of UPM libraries.
- Items missing from UPM libraries.
- Items at UPM libraries that can no longer circulate because of their fragile condition.
Items That Cannot Be Requested
- Items available at UPM libraries.
- Items designated as Non-Circulating which include reference materials, microfilm and etc.
- Materials On-Reserve for specific course.
Items That May Be Difficult to Obtain
- Entire journal volumes or issues are often not available for loan; as a substitute, photocopies of articles are supplied by interlibrary loan. A separate request must be submitted for each article.
- Audiovisual materials are not usually available through interlibrary loan.
- Thesis/Project Paper are also not available through DDS.
- However, retention copy of thesis can be purchased from Proquest Digital Dissertation or universities abroad
- Items that the owning libraries consider too old, brittle, or fragile or that are located in their special collections are not usually lent.
How to Request?
Before requesting materials, please check the item against the library catalogue WebOPAC and Online Databases to ensure that the items are not available in the library.
Fill-in the form available from the Reader's Advisory Desk or DDS Office, legibly and complete with required details (attach photocopies of your source of reference if possible)
If you may locate where it is available, please indicate on the form (this will expedite the process) Please check other Malaysian library catalogues. Submit the completed form to DDS Office. Send your request early to allow sufficient time for processing and ordering
Applications can also be made by Fax: 03-89483745 (Attn : DDS Office)
or by e-mail : Please click here
Please note that cancellation of requests in some cases may NOT be possible, particularly requests sent to British Library. Thus it is very important to ensure that items requested are absolutely necessary
Users' will have to respect and follow any restrictions placed on them by the lending libraries to maintain UPM Library's borrowing privileges with other libraries.
Keep a record of all items you have requested. Pickup the requested items and return them promptly. (Books may usually be borrowed for 2 WEEKS, but please return them 5 days before the due date)
Users are financially responsible to any damage or loss of the interlibrary loan items. Any damage should be reported immediately to the Interlibrary Loan Ofice. Users should not attempt to repair any damage themselves. Any charges imposed will be specified by the lending library.
Please note that requestors still have to pay for the charges even if they do not collect the requested materials after being notified of their receipt.
How Long it Takes to Fill Requests
Normal turnaround time the item requested will usually arrived within two to three weeks after the request is submitted, although difficult-to-obtain items may take much longer. Delivery time is related to the lending library's procedures, availability of materials, and the delivery service used. Please be sure to allow enough time to receive requests.
Requestors may contact DDS office 5 days after submitting the application to acquire about the status of the request.
Users will be notified by email when the item arrives.
Materials may be collected at the DDS Counter during office hours :
Monday - Thursday : 8.00am - 1.00pm & 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Friday : 8.00am - 12.15pm & 2.45pm - 5.00pm
Charges And Payment :
All charges are borne by the requestor. The costs may vary from time to time and are determined by the owning libraries. However book loans from local sources are free of charge.
Payments must be made before collecting the materials either by cash or via Research Grant or Faculty Vote (with authorization from Supervisors or Head of Department).
DOCUMENT DELIVERY SERVICES FOR NON-UPM MEMBERS
The Library (PSAS) also provide Document Delivery Services to other Institutions.
For individuals who wish to use these services, please contact the library that you are affiliated with. Requestors may check the Library catalog via WebOPAC.
Application can be made:
- using Sistem Pembekalan Penerbitan (SPP) form for local institutions
- by fax to : 03-89483745 (Attn.: DDS Office)
- via e-mail :
For further inquiries please contact:
Interlibrary Loan Service
Perpustakaan Sultan Abdul Samad
43400 UPM Serdang.
Tel : 03-894688625
For Medical and Health Science Library, the service is offered at Level 2 of the Library. Further enquiry please contact 03-89472731 or fax to 03-89472731 (Attn: Document Delivery Service).